Multi-Resolution Game Development With GameBuilder Studio Check it out!
NEW Version 0.9.7 has arrived! New Blazing Fast Particle Engine & More Game Actions. Check it out
What types of games can be made?
  • We (at our studio if we can call it a studio) are loving GBS so far but have noticed that it's very "platformer games" oriented. We're planning on making different kind of games with it, like pont and click video adventures, children games with secuenced music, logic games or even other experiments.

We think GBS can work really well in those scenarios, but would like to hear the opinions of more experienced developers,

Can GBS be used to create such games?
  • 17 Comments sorted by
  • @kikubu you could play video during the game and overlay it on top of the underlying game using custom code currently. We will eventually add a video component.

If you were making a kids picture puzzle game where pieces snapped into place it would be pretty easy. Divide the puzzle up into a grid. Then you could trigger a loop to create all the puzzle pieces and scatter them in random positions. Then have the player place those pieces in order to make the resulting puzzle image.

The way you could check if the puzzle is placed correctly is by simply assigning an index to each piece and a placed index to each piece placed into position. If the piece index and position index match up you could increase a global property by one and when that property reaches a certain number you would consider the puzzle solved. If all the pieces are placed and the value has not reached the total pieces then the player has failed and maybe needs to start again. Does that make sense?
  • Hey @kikubu, I'm in the same kind of boat as you. Coming from a programming background making the logic in the game work for you takes a little bit of tweaking, but it is possible. Right now I'm working on a math game and a language arts game. 

Using the Data List container and also the random range function helps out a lot. 

My suggestion is to try to make the logic work in some kind of demo game, before you go all in. Also, watch the tutorials a couple of times over just to get a full understanding of how all the components work.
  • Thanks Carlton!
    I feel like GBS is very powerfull because it lets you focus on gameplay. I have some ideas for cool games and even apps, like a horror adventure using video and puzzles that maybe could be done with GBS, although I don't know for sure if they can be done with it, none of them are side scrolling games :)
  • I would play around with the .swf for the videos your trying to import to see if it works or not. I haven't gotten around to that. I have some videos I made in crazy talk by reallusion and they export to .swf, but I haven't tried to add them into GBS to see if they work or not.

I don't know if GBS is powerful enough to handle .swf video playing along with animation on another layer or something that like. 

I'm converting 22 of my apps over to GBS so far I got 1 done, but the first one is always the hardest. Right now I'm working on a halloween horror game, trying to get it done just in time for the season.

• 22 apps!! can you name some? The game with the video scenes is just an idea, it's OK if it can't be done in GBS.
    So how can be actionscript "snippets" or code fragments be implemented In GBS? We are doing an app for children that has some music tracks that are synchronized to certain sounds, emitted by creatures for learning the sound of letters and playing with music. So it's basically a simple secuencer. I've found some sequencer examples in Actionscript, do you know how can they be implemented in GBS?
    I'm just being curious here because I'm the artist and musician, not the programmer, but I'm very curious about how it can or can't be done.
  • @kikubu GBs is suitable for more than platformer type games. Point and click drag and drop behaviors can be implemented by using the conditions on a Rules component. Any mouse down logic can be done as well. Point and clicking to send a character to an area using pathfinding is coming where you will use a Grid component to define an area of the screen that is walkable and non-walkable and you will be able to move the object along a calculated path. 

If you need to add any custom code to your game or re-use existing code from previous projects you can by accessing the custom code base layer in the generated bin folder. All of the parent classes are changed by GBs but the top level classes can have custom code added to them to change the sequence of events, add custom written components to entities that were already created inside of GBs, etc. All objects created in GBs can be accessed via code using a name look up in code. At that point you have a reference to the object and can add or remove anything you want. (This is a PRO only feature)

I cover this topic lightly in this video: 

I will be recording a more extensive set of tutorials for advance users to help them understand how you can completely overwrite everything the game does in code without breaking what you are doing in the GBs editor. (No ETA on this yet)

However if you are not an advance user and you need an action or have an idea for a component that could be used to build a certain type of game and it is not just specific to your project I will consider implementing it. Just post a request in the ideas section.
  • @Carlton, importing video via swfs through the editor will not work. Video is a very performance intensive feature. We are looking into GPU accelerated video textures for you to play video with but this will come later. However, like I said, video could be loaded and played via AS3 before the game is loaded via the custom code base layer if you are familiar with playing video using AS3 on your own. You could just stop the engine from auto starting up, play your video in a swf file, then proceed to the game. We did this custom for a client of ours before and it worked out great.

Also Carlton if you run into issues porting your current games over please let me know.
  • ok, so for video intros, we have to load and play them in an external Actionscript file and then, load he main game? what if we want to play videos mid-game? a video component would be great.

If I had to do let's say, a puzzle, could it be done with just the rule component? maybe I could but would be very tedious, wouldn't it.? the other options would be, coding it from scratch or adding and configuring a "puzzle" component if it would exist?
  • Yes, that makes sense, I was thinking about something similar, Thank you very much!
    It could work in about any kind of puzzle, now I see how can it be done. The game I'm thinking would have puzzles like those on "Windosill" do you know the game?
  • @kikubu well Windosill looks like it was done in 3D which GBs does not do. You would have to determine if you want to do a 3D style game or 2D. However the concept of clicking on objects and animating them to reveal a key to proceed, or for the user to solve a puzzle is not that difficult. It is a matter of you figuring out how to visually present the animations and how difficult of a scene/puzzle you present to the player to solve.
  • I made the Windosill reference beacause of the gameplay, I'm perfectly fine with GBS 2D, since we bought and use Spine for animation, The look and feel I love would be more in the line of "Limbo". It's a clever way of reinventing puzzles and platformers and mixing them up.
    All this rambling comes because I've noticed GBS has several components dedicated to platformers, which is cool, but we don't have plans for making a platformer, but more "arty" or "experimental" games.
    I think now GBS is optimized for making a platformer but I guess you can do almost any kind of 2D game with a little tweaking, you just don't have components for pathfinding or AI.

I have a question, for a point and click adventure like "Machinarium" you'd need pathfinding, right? Because in GBS current state I can't imagine a way for making an entity walk through a corridor with corners or stairs controlled by clicking with the mouse.
  • @kikubu, technically I think you could create a game like Machinarium. However, you would be looking at a lot of animation and re-positioning based on conditions inside GBS. i.e animation for walking up the stairs, animation for picking up certain items. Then when you want to deploy you have to make sure those positions will work with the screens that you are targeting.
  • I see, you had to animate each possible path on each stage manually and then trigger the animations based on conditions defined into Map rules componets, right?
  • @kikubu To create a game like Machinarium would be no problemt because a lot of it is just visual tricks. With the new Spine integration it would be super easy to setup pre-defined animation sequences where the character walks up stairs, or swings on a rope. Because the player is not actually interacting with the scene using their keyboard all you have to do is react to mouse down events and trigger animation sequences. Or trigger animations when a character walks across a sensor object. Of course positioning the animations in the scene is key but a lot of the animation positioning can be done in Spine then imported into GBs and manipulated at runtime by changing the Spatials position.

Remember Spine is a complete animation system. It is not just for character animations. You can animate intro menu screens, scene snippets, and you can add interactive elements by putting bounding boxes around key elements in the animation that would be respected as a collision shape once imported into GBs. Its very powerful. And the image rendering is optimized to not use a lot of graphics memory because instead of importing a swf animation which has to be redrawn and uploaded to the GPU for every frame of a long animation, the Spine renderer uploads the animation textures to the GPU once and the only other heaving lifting are the keyframes in the animation sequence that position the images.

cc: @Carlton
  • @kikubu also, we are adding event triggers to the Spine Animation action now so you can trigger actions once an animation sequence completes.
  • Would it be possible and fairly easy to create a Mahjong type of game in gamebuilder?
  • @Njål this should be possible, you just have to figure out a way to apply the logic to the game.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion