Multi-Resolution Game Development With GameBuilder Studio Check it out!
NEW Version 0.9.7 has arrived! New Blazing Fast Particle Engine & More Game Actions. Check it out
Android Manifest File
  • Hey, I'm wondering if there is a way to edit the Android Manifest file before it is compiled with Game Builder into an apk. Having access to this manifest file could save a lot of people a lot of frustration on dealing with different screen sizes. 
  • 7 Comments sorted by
  • @matthalleck, I ran into this issue a while ago as well. This is a little more advanced but after the apk published, I used APKTool to decompile the apk. 

Once the apk was decomplied you then have access to the manifest file.

However now you have to resign your application.

The tool can be found below

Simple instructions on how to use it are here

Hope this helps
  • @matthalleck, @Carlton,  
    So for the time being, 
    What would you recommend . . . for someone who has a game almost complete in GBs in one screen size and does not have a great deal of programming prior to this? . . .

Learning how to manage the scaling for different screen sizes in the manifest file as mentioned above?
    And can this be done for iOS?
    Or
    Creating 4-6 profiles (diff screen sizes ending producing its' own install file each) of a game for android and iOS?
    I guess an app cannot contain more than one install file?(based on a previous post) so I'd have to have different projects for the different sizes.

Just trying to figure out if re-building an entire game multiple times for each of the two platforms is the way to go or not. Thanks for your advice
  • @BenFromOregon, So far all the games I have designed haven't presented a issue with scaling. 

For android I would use the any screen build setting. I would also use a if condition that checked the inches of the screen and then scaled the sizes of my spatulas, but I think that could get complicated fast. 

My first game I released for android from GBs was called Baby ABCs (simple game, just trying to get a feel or GBs initially without investing too much time). I used a really old lazy trick you make a standard version 7 inches or less resolution and then you make a large resolution 11 inches or less. Therefore I released:
    Baby ABCs - runs on any phone or tablet less than 7 inches
    Baby ABCs HD - runs on any phone or tablet less that 11 inches

This isn't a good solution I know that.

For my second game Wobbly Witch I initially built at the resolution of 2560 x 1368 (whatever the resolution of the kindle fire 11.9 inch tablet is)
    Nothing in my game was locked in position except the scores and the title

When I was done designing and setting up all the logic, I created a positioning spatial, where I have all my rules for on load.

For example if I had a ground piece I would set my ground pieces resolution point as 0,0 so I could position it in the lower left hand corner of the device

Theres really no best practice to do it. Its all an educated guess and whatever satisfies you at the end of the day,

My advice is Test on your computer
    Test on a phone
    and Test on a Tablet. 

or...(probably bad advice) Publish your game and submit it to the amazon app store, they'll test out your game and tell you if it fit all of their different resolutions.

Sorry for rambling.

• Ha! Well thank you all the same, this is my first game and feels like a big ? most of the time.
    Learning fast and slow at the same time anyways. 
    When you say,
    "set my ground pieces resolution point as 0,0 
    are you referring to the registration point (the x and y coordinates of a spatial)in GBs?

Anyways thanks for rambling, I like the amazon idea as I haven't the means to test with enough devices to grasp the real picture.
    Great to hear you got Wobbly Witch out for October! 

• http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7030066/getting-my-android-apps-to-scale-to-larger-screen 

The reason I wanted into the Manifest file is because apparently having the below - (uses sdk) with a minimum of 4 and a target of something closer to recent will tell the Android system to automatically scale apps.

<span class="tag" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; vertical-align: baseline; color: rgb(128, 0, 0); background: transparent;">&lt;uses-sdk</span><span class="pln" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; vertical-align: baseline; background: transparent;"> 
    </span><span class="atn" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; vertical-align: baseline; color: rgb(255, 0, 0); background: transparent;">android:targetSdkVersion</span><span class="pun" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; vertical-align: baseline; background: transparent;">=</span><span class="atv" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; vertical-align: baseline; color: rgb(0, 0, 255); background: transparent;">x</span><span class="pln" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; vertical-align: baseline; background: transparent;">
    </span><span class="atn" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; vertical-align: baseline; color: rgb(255, 0, 0); background: transparent;">android:minSdkVersion</span><span class="pun" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; vertical-align: baseline; background: transparent;">=</span><span class="atv" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; vertical-align: baseline; color: rgb(0, 0, 255); background: transparent;">y</span><span class="tag" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; vertical-align: baseline; color: rgb(128, 0, 0); background: transparent;">&gt;</span><span class="pln" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; vertical-align: baseline; background: transparent;">
    </span><span class="tag" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; vertical-align: baseline; color: rgb(128, 0, 0); background: transparent;">&lt;/uses-sdk&gt;</span>
  • Alright that didnt work but what I was trying to paste was the lines from the link I posted first. Thanks Carlton for the APK tool, Im going to try it right now =)
  • @BenFromOregon, yes I mean the registration point.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion