Multi-Resolution Game Development With GameBuilder Studio Check it out!
NEW Version 0.9.7 has arrived! New Blazing Fast Particle Engine & More Game Actions. Check it out
Image Sizing, Spine Animations, and Scaling
  • So I was curious do my image sizes need to be divisible by 2 or a power of 2 when saved into my sprite sheet? I've looked at some of the sprite images in the Hungry Hero game and they aren't all even numbers or evenly divisible by 2.  I always start all my images on a 1024x1024 canvas/board as Vector images before resizing them as a png. Does anyone else do this? Is this a good idea? When creating my images for a game that will be scaled for iPads and iPhones should I size them/build the game for the iPad and then do the scaling or build it for the iPhone first? Will this also apply/work for animations that will be done using Spine?
  • 4 Comments sorted by
  • @N8epicspec your images only have to be a power of 2 size when using renderers that require it like the Repeating Renderer and Scrolling Renderer. 

If you are trying to build your game for multiple resolutions it is always better to start creating your assets with the highest resolution and then scaling those assets down for each subsequent smaller resolution. That way when you are scaling up or down your game you will have all the assets sizes you need to include inside your game. Don't make this an after thought.

Preparing the assets from the largest resolution and scaling down is different from how I would approach the scaling of the actual game scene ( i.e. Multi-resolution scaling). Normally I start setting up the game scene size in GBs with the smallest resolution first which is a multiple of the largest target screen size so that the images can be scaled up properly. If your largest image size is 4 times the smallest target device size then your base screen resolution should be able to be multiplied by 4 to get the largest screen size exactly. Try to avoid sizes with decimals.
  • @N8epicspec keep in mind when creating sprite sheets that are intended to be scaled up using the Multi-resolution settings you will need to make sure that as you export the sprite sheet at multiple resolutions you will need to keep the images in the sprite sheet at the same index position as the base resolution and make sure the size of the individual images in the sprite sheet are multiples of the base (i.e. 1.5x, 2x, 3x, 4x, etc..). For sprite sheets all you need to do is import the base resolution of the sprite sheet and its data file and specify the sprite sheet image file at different resolutions when using Multi-resolution support.

So you will have one sprite sheet with the following files:

Sprite_Animation_Data.json (Data File)
    Sprite_Animation_base.png (Base Resolution imported into GBs)
    Sprite_Animation_1_5x.png (Images at 1.5x)
    Sprite_Animation_2x.png (Images at 2x)
    Sprite_Animation_3x.png (Images at 3x)

• @N8epicspec keep everything at 72 dpi.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion