Multi-Resolution Game Development With GameBuilder Studio Check it out!
NEW Version 0.9.7 has arrived! New Blazing Fast Particle Engine & More Game Actions. Check it out
Algorithms and Procedural Content Generation
  • I'm trying to build a board game that is matching based kind of like bejeweled blitz in a sense but with some different rules. Does Gamebuilder Studio come with any Monte Carlo or UTC like algorithms built into it in some way so I don't have to figure out how to do the coding? I'm only a beginner in AS3 so building AI's is something out of my league atm, hence why I went with GBs. Anyhow I want to generate the levels randomly and test them before loaded to make sure they are playable and meet certain criteria for difficulty.
  • 1 Comment sorted by
  • @N8epicspec no there are no such algorithms built into GBs. You can get random numbers using the random() helper method in an expression in GBs or you can use a random number generation service like random.org and ping their api for "true" random numbers to generate the levels for a game like bejeweled blitz.

We could add a weighted random range helper method to help you control complexity as the levels progress.

One thing you could also do is use a list data component (Array) and populate it with numbers that map to a cell in the grid and you can use that number to determine visible and hidden cells per level.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion